Welcome to the gold standard in emergency care transport training. Published in conjunction with the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), and endorsed by the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) and the International Association of Flight and Critical Care Providers (IAFCCP), Critical Care Transport, Second Edition offers cutting-edge content relevant to any health care provider training in critical care transport.
Authored by leading critical care professionals from across the country, Critical Care Transport, Second Edition contains state-of-the-art information on ground and flight transport that aligns with the latest evidence-based medicine and practices.
Content includes information specific to prehospital critical care transport, such as flight physiology, lab analysis, hemodynamic monitoring, and specialized devices such as the intra-aortic balloon pump. Standard topics such as airway management, trauma, and pharmacology are covered in the context of critical care. Numerous new skills, procedures, and types of equipment have been described to reflect current practice.
This book meets the curricula of major critical care training programs, including UMBC. It also meets the 2015 CPR/ECC Guidelines and the objectives of transport certification exams such as the Flight Paramedic Certification (FP-C) exam administered by the Board for Critical Care Transport Paramedic Certification.
Critical Care Transport, Second Edition is the only textbook that thoroughly prepares medical professionals for certification in the field and ensures their success as vital members of a transport team.
The new edition also includes:
- A new chapter on patient safety
- Updated information on transport choreography
- New sections on excited delirium, children with special needs, and bariatric patients
- Enhanced information on capnography, troubleshooting transport ventilators, post-resuscitation management, and blood product administration
- Sample fetal monitoring strips
Dynamic instructor and student resources include:
- Focused and comprehensive presentations and lecture outlines
- New case study presentations
- A test bank with validated exams
- Completely updated Test Prep to prepare students for certification exams
- Chapter 1 Introduction and Overview of Critical Care Transport
- Chapter 2 Medical-Legal Issues
- Chapter 3 Patient Safety
- Chapter 4 Aircraft Fundamentals and Flight Physiology
- Chapter 5 Patient Assessment
- Chapter 6 Respiratory Emergencies, Airway Management, and Ventilation
- Chapter 7 Critical Care Pharmacology
- Chapter 8 Laboratory Analysis and Diagnostic Studies
- Chapter 9 Resuscitation, Shock and Blood Products
- Chapter 10 Trauma
- Chapter 11 Neurologic Emergencies
- Chapter 12 Burns
- Chapter 13 Electrophysiology, Cardiac Devices, and Transport Management
- Chapter 14 Hemodynamic Monitoring and Circulatory Support
- Chapter 15 Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Emergencies
- Chapter 16 Endocrine Emergencies
- Chapter 17 Environmental Emergencies
- Chapter 18 Infectious and Communicable Diseases
- Chapter 19 Toxicologic Emergencies
- Chapter 20 Obstetric and Gynecologic Emergencies
- Chapter 21 Neonatal Emergencies
- Chapter 22 Pediatric Emergencies
- Chapter 23 Bariatric and Special Situations